Yield: 3 Cups (2 -3 Servings)
- ½ bunch kale, de-stemmed (about 1 cup packed) and cut into thin ribbons (chiffonade)
- 1/8 head cabbage, shredded (1 ¼ cups)
- 2 tablespoon red onion, finely julienned
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon light miso
- ½ tablespoon lemon juice, fresh squeezed
- ½ tablespoon orange juice, fresh squeezed
- 1 tomato, diced
- ½ tablespoon raw honey
- ½ red jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced (or substitute a dash cayenne pepper)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon powdered mustard
- ½ teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- 2 tablespoon oil-packed capers, optional
- ¼ cup kalamata olives, pitted and chopped, optional
- 2 tablespoons dulse flakes, optional
1. For the dressing: Combine the oils, miso, lemon juice, orange juice, honey, onion powder, mustard powder, and crushed garlic in a bowl and use a whisk to combine. In a large bowl, massage the kale well for a couple of minutes to soften.
2. Add the cabbage, tomato, jalapeno, pine nuts and red onion to the bowl of softened kale. Pour the dressing over the mixture, toss, and season with salt to taste. Garnish with the optional capers, dulse and olives and serve
3. This salad is best served immediately, but it can also be stored in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours.
Audrey Barron is a Certified Raw Food Chef that offers lectures, classes and retreats on preparation of delicious living food dishes, healthy eating, wellness and benefits of raw/living foods.