We are excited to be offering some fun special events at the IWFM this month. Additionally, some of the folks who've worked so hard to help make the IWFM happen this winter are joining our efforts again to offer a series of "Go Green" workshops at Invoke Yoga Studio each Friday evening in April. Here's a schedule of events:
Indianapolis Winter Farmers Market, April Events:
April 4, 10-11a.m.: Rain Barrel Making Workshop
This hands-on workshop will lead participants through the steps of making and installing a rain barrel. All spaces are filled for those wishing to make a rain barrel to take home, but observation of the process is FREE and welcome.
April 11, 9 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. : Herbs and Perennials as Companion Plants - Sale and Discussion
Constance Ferry of Hobbit Gardens will have herbs and perennials available for sale to help you get your garden growing. Constance will speak at 10:30 a.m. on using herbs and perennials as companion plants in the garden, but feel free to ask her about at any time as you do you consider what to add to your garden this year. She has a wealth of information that she is happy to share.
April 18, 10-11 a.m.: Chickens and Goats in Your Urban Backyard?
Yes, it’s true. Fountain Square urban livestock farmer Kevin Willis will bring his two (live) goats to market and talk about his experiences keeping goats and chickens in his small, urban backyard, as well as what you need to know if you are considering bringing livestock into your backyard.
April 25, Last Day of the Indy Winter Farmers Market until November 2009!
Don’t miss out on the last day of the first Indy Winter Farmers Market season. Many thanks to all who supported the market’s growers and producers by choosing to buy local. We could not have imagined a more successful first season. We’ll keep in touch over the summer through the IWFM e-newsletter. Also keep visiting www.indywinterfarmersmarket.org. We'll keep you posted on exciting events in the works for this summer. Also we’ll be moving to a new location for November 2009, so sign-up for our e-newsletter or check our web site (coming soon) next fall so you know where to find us. We look forward to seeing you out at the many farmers markets Indianapolis has to offer through the summer and then back with us in November!
Go Green Workshops brought to you by Invoke Studio & Urban Earth Indy -
Learn fun, easy & practical ways to live and move more lightly on the earth.
970 Ft. Wayne Ave. - 15 blocks directly south on Central from the IWFM @ the west split of Central at 10th St. - pre-register at www.invokestudio.com.
This workshop series will take you from the yoga mat into Green Action! All are welcome, whether you are considering a yoga practice for the first time, or you are an experienced yogi looking to expand your practice from the mat into your life.
4 workshops: Fridays @ 5:45-7:15 p.m.
Attendance By Donation (with the exception of purchasing a personal rain barrel on April 10th. The cost of purchasing a workshop barrel is $50.)
Each week participants will experience a different hands-on Go Green Challenge activity, in addition to starting and ending each workshop with a yoga practice designed to energize, open and integrate body, mind and life. In addition to weekly activities, information, coupons and limited give-aways will be provided by local "green businesses," such as GreenWay Supply, Tracey Clean, Green Piece Indy, Indiana Living Green Magazine, and more.
- April 3, Gardening & Composting 101: Join guest workshop leaders Matthew Jose and Tyler Henderson to learn about composting as well as tips and skills for home gardening by planting the studio’s four raised beds. Then enjoy the beauty and taste sensations all summer when coming for class! Read More...
Slow Food Indy will be offering heirloom vegetable seeds from Seed Saver Exchange for the beginner and experienced gardener. All proceeds from seed sales will go to Slow Food Indy, working to build a community of local food that is good, clean, fair and available to everyone.
- April 10, For the Love of Water & Rain Barrel Making 101*: Special guest, Tracey Hiner of TraceyClean will speak about using all-natural, non-toxic household cleaners and body care products for your own health and a healthier environment. Then, Tyler & Laura Henderson will demonstrate how to make a rain barrel from a 55 gallon plastic drum. Watch and learn, or make one to take home.* Tips and suggestions for conserving water use will also be discussed. Read More...
* Rain Barrel Workshop - If you'd like to make your own rain barrel to take home, an additional fee of $50 applies for purchase of the barrel and materials. If you don't wish to purchase your own barrel, we'll all learn the process together, and you can work with other students to make a rain barrel that will be donated to a local gardening project. Barrels are limited, so email Laura@indywinterfarmersmarket today to reserve a barrel.
- April 17, Burn Calories, Not Fuel: Learn to tune up your bike, change your own tire, city cycling safety tips, as well as other tips for ways to build exercise into daily activities while cutting use of fuel and electricity. Former Madison, WI bike mechanic Chris Hartley will lead participants in the basics. Bring your own bike, or help a friend! Read More...
- April 24, Finding New Purpose in Life (out of old clothes and household items):
Enjoy fun and simple projects in re-making, re-cycling or re-purposing household items or worn out clothes, giving them a new and useful purpose. Annie Hostetter will share some of the fun and inventive at home re-purposes she has created, and we'll have a couple project options, including making your own yoga/Pilates mat bag from an old pair of pants. No sewing machine or skills required! We'll also have information about the Indy Craft Mafia and the upcoming INDIEana Handicraft Exchange in June. Read more...
To register for this workshop: On-line at www.invokestudio.com -OR- Call 317.631.9642 -OR- Email Erin@invokestudio.com