Enjoying Thanksgiving a little closer to home (even if you're traveling a little further afield). Don't miss your last opportunity before Thanksgiving to pick up all the delicious foods & locally made goods you need and desire to ensure this Thanksgiving is one to remember as you share this time of giving thanks for the harvest with friends and family.
Looking for some new recipes to spice up your Thanksgiving meal? Here are a couple of recipes that will offer a new twist to the traditional meal, as well as highlight local goods available at market this week!
- Two-Stage Roasted Turkey with Honey-Pepper Rub - hopefully you pre-ordered your Schacht Farm turkey this spring, and you bought all the herbs you need last week from Hobbit Gardens. Stock up on garlic, onions, remaining fresh peppers, and hopefully honey available this week.
- Smokey Chipotle-Mushroom Gravy - forget the dried mushrooms from the recipe. You can get them fresh and delicious from Homestead Growers this week.
- Winter Squash Lasagna with Sage, Hickory Nuts and Kale - This one is great as a vegetarian item on the table. We suggest replacing walnuts in the recipe with hickory nuts from the Burton's, and try a mix of the kale varieties available this week. You will also find lasagna noodles at market, and of course cheese to vary the recipe slightly.
- Cilantro-Poblano Cream Sauce - look for leeks, chiles or other peppers, & cilantro from the vegetable growers at market.
- Silky Mushroom Pate - buy it ready made from Country Mouse, City Mouse, or brave your own attempt with ingredients from the market.
- Here is a recipe for Brussels Sprouts that will have you back after Thanksgiving to make it again! Try out hickory nuts in place of walnuts in this one as well.
- Here are two more great ways to use Kale in your Thanksgiving meal.
Send us your favorite Thanksgiving recipes highlighting locally available ingredients, and we'll make them available this week on the blog. Or, send us photos of your Thanksgiving meal to show off how you used your market goods! Email Laura@indywinterfarmersmarket.org.
We have a few new arrivals this week, so be sure to check them out:
Cafe Iris - soups and salad dressings
Hubbard & Craven Coffee Co. - Enjoy a cup o' joe while you shop, and take home beans for your Thanksgiving gathering.
Tracey Clean - all natural, non-toxic household cleaners. There is no better way to prepare your home for your Thanksgiving guests, or to repair after. :)
Nicole-Taylor's Fresh Pasta - featuring several varieties of handmade pastas
Peace Leaf Teas - featuring holiday tea blends
Out this week, but returning soon:
Capriole - the goat cheese folks. Our stuffed chard rolls sure won't be the same, but we look forward to having them back next week.
Hobbit Gardens - Constance will return to help season and soothe our lives with her wonderful array of herbal products the week after Thanksgiving.
Thanks again for helping to make the Indy Winter Farmers Market, not just a place to buy local food, but a means to build and enjoy our local food community!